Review and monitor existing local structure plans and development plans and facilitate and help prepare new structure plans for residential and employment areas and activity centres.
- Promote community awareness of, and participation in, the development of strategic planning policies which advance Council's growth area planning objectives.
- Help create long term sustainable neighbourhoods through the use and development of innovative structure planning.
- Input into the strategic planning process of Council leading to the development and review of Council's Municipal Strategic Statement, local policies and amendments to the planning scheme and other related documents.
- Prepare and present submissions to planning appeals and panel hearings as directed by the Coordinator Strategic Planning.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Facilitate and where directed prepare new structure plans and development plans for residential and employment areas and activity centres.
- Review and monitor existing local structure plans and development plans.
- Participate, and where directed, lead the review and development of new planning guidelines, local policies, and other strategic growth area plans of Council.
- Investigate assess and report on the strategic planning implications of proposed planning scheme amendments and development plans whether generated by members of the public or arising from Council or State Government initiatives.
- As directed by the Manager Strategic Planning prepare amendments to the planning scheme and undertake all associated administrative functions required under the Planning and Environment Act, 1987.
- Provide advice to Council and where necessary prepare submissions on State Government strategic planning policies, reports and initiatives.
- Represent the Strategic Planning Department on cross departmental teams and committee and provide advice on strategic planning issues affecting the municipality.
- Use appropriate methods of consultation and information dissemination aimed at increasing awareness of strategic planning issues in the community while conducting planning studies.
SPECIALIST KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
The following knowledge and skills are required to be utilised:
- Knowledge of urban growth in a local government context and rural planning issues, trends, theories and methodologies and skills in applying these. Knowledge of relevant Government policy and the planning role of Local, State and Federal Governments.
- Well-developed skills in statistical analysis, research methods and ability to appraise the information (both statistical and written).
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret State planning legislation and State strategic planning policy with a good understanding and knowledge of the Victorian Planning and Environment Act, Victorian Planning Provisions etc.
- Ability to provide a strategic perspective to the consideration of individual development proposals.
- Knowledge of growth area planning.
Selection will be based on the following selection criteria, however reference will also be made to other listed skills:
- Tertiary qualifications in urban and regional planning or related fields.
- Working knowledge of local structure plans and development plans.
- Planning experience in an outer growth area-planning environment.
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work and contribute effectively with a team environment.
- Working knowledge of planning legislation and other related planning land use policies and strategies and their application and delivery.
- Experience in undertaking statutory procedures associated with the undertaking of an amendment to Planning Schemes under the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- Demonstrated ability to solve land use planning problems.
- Ability to provide a strategic perspective and integrated approach to the consideration and assessment of development opportunities and proposals.
If you possess the required skills and experience to apply for this role, please submit your resume, along with a detailed covering letter addressing the selection criteria to Jacqui Savic at email@example.com